Saturday, July 05, 2014

We made it!

We did it.  We made it in about 15 hours of drive time.  The first day was a little more eventful than we would’ve liked.  Leah ended up throwing up twice, but never really said anything until after she did it and wouldn’t even attempt to throw up in anything.  Just all down her lap.  Wonderful.  She had thrown up the night before we left so she must’ve had something bothering her.

That was not fun to clean up when we stopped.  But we managed.  We were able to get past Atlanta the first day and kind of crashed at the hotel.  No one wanted to hang out or swim or anything.  Let’s just go to bed.  No arguments there.

The second day was shorter and no vomiting, so hands down it was better.  We made it to our place in Florida around 2:30 in the afternoon and had a few people to help us unload which was very helpful.  The kids were even super excited and helped bring in a lot of things.

The last few days have been getting settled, unpacking, going to the store, etc.  We watched fireworks out the kids’ window last night because we didn’t have the energy to care that much if we actually went to them.  And our kids hate loud noises so they didn’t really care to go to them anyway.

All in all, we’re starting to feel settled.  We don’t have any kind of routine.  The kids are trying to figure out the bunk beds in their room.  The first night Noah woke up because he had dropped his pooh bear that he sleeps with and wouldn’t get out of bed because he didn’t want to wake his sister up.  The second night Leah woke up distraught and scared of the bunk bed.  I told her we’d talk about it when it was light out and she never brought it up again, so we’ll just see how it goes.

We have a lot of little things to figure out, like car registration and getting new licenses.  We need to get things set up with utilities and figure out all of those details.  Our dryer doesn’t work so we need to figure out how to get that fixed.  Lots of little things to take care of.  Today we finally have internet, so we can catch up on things that we haven’t been able to do.

So for now we will just try to get acclimated to a new city and a new routine.  We feel really blessed to be here.  Our place is great and better than we could’ve ever imagined.  We feel a little spoiled.  But we have noticed some strange triggers in our hearts over the past few days, so we can definitely use prayer in healing.  One day we know that the triggers will be fewer and less of a hold over us.  We’re just waiting for that day.
Bart didn't have much of a view out the rearview mirror
This was my cargo.  Vomit and all (sorry no pictures of that).
My passenger seat had some necessities
So far they are loving bunk beds.  I am not a fan
since we've had leaking diapers and
vomit (from the boy now---what on earth!?!?!).


Judy said...

So glad you got there safely. What an answer to prayer. Triggers DO come out of nowhere when you least expect it, but through the grace of God they DO lesson as we seek His healing. I will continue to pray your family through. I'm incredibly happy with your new home base and the peace it will give.

Bart and Melissa Shadle said...

Thank you Judy! We appreciate your kind words and prayers more than you know.