Friday, August 09, 2013

I survived

Well for those of you who are women reading this, you will totally understand.  The men, maybe not.  But I got my hair cut today.  In Venezuela.  By a Venezuelan.  I think I'll be ok.

I put it off for too long.  It had been well over a year.  Granted, my hair was nice and long, but boy was it looking a little rough on the ends.  And honestly, I was a little terrified to get my hair cut here.  I've heard stories.  Not terrible stories.  I'm sure it could never be as bad as living in Baku where lots of women have a mullet-type thing going on.  Count your blessings, right?

I tried to talk Leah into getting hers trimmed too.  She's getting to the point where a trim would be helpful.  But she was defiant and insistent that she didn't need one.  I tried bribery, but to no avail.  Next time, maybe bigger and better bribery.  Maybe I can have something with me as incentive.  We'll see.  This is why men/boys are easier.  Clippers.  Done.

This week has been a little chaotic with random things going on.  We've had a quite a few Skype meetings with different people for planning and whatnot.  Bart has had been gone off and on to help the staff family move their things to the girls' apartment until they can move into their new place.  I've been working more actively on language (about time, I know).  It's killing me, but luckily my "teacher" is great!

Oh great news.  We got our air conditioner fixed!!!!!  It's been about 2 months of it being on the fritz, leaking water or not blowing cold air, so a lot of the past 2 months it's been turned off.  Goo.  Yuck.  Blah.  You name it.  Even though it's in our bedroom, it does an ok job of keeping the whole apartment a little bit cooler.  And when you live in Venezuela, every little bit helps.  No more fighting who gets the middle of the bed where the fan blows the strongest!  I'm very grateful for that.

Pray for me.  I'm on the verge of writing a post about something that has really been heavy on my heart lately.  But I don't really want to.  It just feels really painful for me.  I will though.  I promise.  And one of these days maybe I'll convince Bart to post something charming and theologically mind-blowing on here.  You need to get away from my ramblings from time to time....

ADDENDUM on 8/10: Upon showering, washing, putting product in and taking a closer look.....there had to be some slight modifications to my hair.  Yup, took some scissors to it.  Oh well.  What can you do?

No comments: