Monday, January 12, 2009

Stewardship

In a little ways in the book Heaven by Randy Alcorn. Great book thus far, I definitely suggest you pick up a copy.

What has been hitting me rather heavily thus far is a deep dissappointment with myself for the way I treat my body and my surroundings. Heaven (both the present Heaven, where we go after we die, and the New Earth Heaven -> hope this doesn't confuse) will be a place in which we have bodies. Check out 1 Corinth. 15 if you tend to be somewhat gnostic and don't believe me. This reality of Heaven I had already known, yet for whatever reason, it's never registered completely. This body I have now, in some renewed form, I will have in Heaven. So why not strive now to be a good steward of what I will have eternally?

I'm horrible to my body. I eat fast food probably four or five times a week. And I stinking love Donuts. It probably doesn't help that we live one-minute walking distance from a great little mom-and-pop donut store named Honey-Dip Donuts. And I definately don't work-out a great deal. I'm not in terrible shape, but I'm definately no athlete.

One part of my New Year's resolution was to not eat fast food for the entire 2009. Thus far I've been faithful to that, though only because my wife is amazing. I've probably asked for Taco Bell about 6 or 7 times but she is helping me not to cave. Praise the Lord she is better than I!

Hold me accountable if you like. I know a lot of people reading this are probably on some diet or another (since a lot of you are Americans and we're all fatties) so I'd love to hear about it. I've been encouraged by my friend Chris' weight loss and the positive effect it seems to be having on him. I want to be a better steward of what will be mine eternally. I ask this:

1. Tell me if you're on a similar journey, similar thoughts.
2. Make sure you're going to heaven. The movies and books and most funerals you go to that say everyone is in Heaven are lies. Don't base your eternal destination on worldviews from The Five people you meet in Heaven, or What dreams may come because they're rubbish. I'd love to talk to you more about this. Email or comment! Are you going to Heaven?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I stinking love sweets, too. That's my weakness, really. The vegan life would be easier for me than the diabetic. It doesn't help that I made a rather soft resolution for this year, one that I have yet to stick to.
The Upper Arlington Honey Dip Donuts looks a lot like the Jolly Pirate Donuts in my hometown. It closed for good last year but became a Little Caesar's Pizza, which isn't any better.
Blessings on your plan to treat your body better. A lot of people need to set the same goals for themselves!