Tuesday, January 13, 2009

In only a short time

"Day by day remind yourself that you are going to die" -The rule of St. Benedict 4:47

"Awareness of mortality exerts a unique power to focus the mind and heart on essentials." -Columba Stewart in Prayer and Community: The Beneditine Tradition

Morbid though it may be, over the last week or so I've been hit with what shouldn't be a startling reality at all: I am going to die. You are going to die.

It's heavy, but with a 100% success rate. You're life will end. It may be in a hospital many years from now if you're lucky. It may be at the door at walmart on black Friday, trampled by greedy people. It may be in a car accident this very week. But you will die.

This rocks my foundation. It makes some of the things I discuss, value, and spend time on so much less important, and it aligns me with the only thing I've found to be valuable and worth my time and energy, and that's the glory and pursuit of God through Christ. I am going to die.

Reading about Heaven has only reenforced these thoughts and feelings in me. I thought I'd share that with you. Do you ever think about your mortality? Are you in denial?

No comments: