Friday, December 19, 2008

The Love of God

What a marvelous thing it is to be loved by God!  And I make no distinction here, Christian or not.  You are loved by God.  You are cherished, adored and the joy of His heart.

At creation what happened was an outpouring of the goodness and love of the tri-une God.  God was totally sufficient in himself, totally satisfied and joyous.  He needed nothing.  Yet he overflowed, and so the birth of creation.  God was so good and loving that his joy overflowed into creation.  He simply had to share His goodness and holiness and love with others.

Yesterday I spent some time meditating over a passage in Hosea.  What a marvelous book!  The love of God towards me just overcame my heart.  That love is available and ready for all.  Take it!

If you have ten minutes right now, I'd love for you to do this faith excercise, or if you like, meditation.  If not, print this out and do it later.  Please.  Again, Christian or not, I'd say to you this is the desire of your heart.  This is your reason for being.  Read the following passage from parts of the book of Hosea.  In places where you see the word Israel replace it with your name.  Re-read and pray over this for ten minutes.  I guarantee you will meet the love of God.

Israel, how could I give you up?
My heart turns against it.
When Israel was a child I loved him,
I myself taught him to walk,
I took him in my arms;
Yet he has not understood that I was the one looking after him.
I led him with reins of kindness,
with leading-strings of love.
I was like someone who lifts an infant close against his cheek;
stooping down to him I gave him his food.
How could I treat him like Admah,
or deal with you like Zeboiim?
My heart recoils from it,
my whole being trembles at the thought.
I will not give reign to my fierce anger,
I will not destroy Ephraim again,
for I am God, not man;
I am the holy one in your midst
and have no wish to destroy.
(Hosea 11:1a, 3-4, 8c-9, NAB)

You are loved by the holy one.  You are adored.  If that is not the greatest news we may receive than I'm in the wrong business.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A friend and I just got done studying the whole book of Hosea together. We were in awe of the picture of God's wrath and His utter hatred and intolerance for sin. It makes understanding His love and mercy for us (and for Israel, who over and over were doing such despicable and adulterous things) that much more humbling!