Monday, March 26, 2012

Let the River flow

“Notice what happens to the flow of God’s love if we think of it as limited to such sacred events. It is streaming into us, but for the most part it is not flowing through us on to others. We may pray in the eucharistic prayer, ‘Deliver us from the presumption of coming to this table for solace only and not for strength; for pardon only, and not for renewal.’ But if we don’t turn from facing God, so to speak, to face our neighbors, the flow of God’s gifts will be arrested with us, and we will miss the purpose of the strength and renewal that come through the Eucharist. It is as we serve our neighbors - our family, friends, acquaintances - that the dam holding the flow of gifts is lifted and the life of God continues its intended flow.” - Miroslav Volf, Free of Charge


I've been really liking this book lately, if for no other reason than it seems like it is just returning me to simple Gospel truths. If I am only grabbing God's grace for myself, I am missing out. If my worship is solely for my own purpose and enjoyment, then it is not serving its intended purpose.


My experience of joy and love of Christ needs to have an outflow. What could do I do the world that God desperately wants to redeem if I horde all of God's love for myself? God, let my family be an outpouring. Let us overflow with your grace and goodness into any that come into contact with us. Let us have love to give, stemming from an overabundant love and enjoyment of you!


This makes me think of new and fresh ways I could begin to give, areas I could begin to overflow into. More on that soon...

1 comment:

cindy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.