Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Anniversary trip

We had a great 4-year anniversary trip! We went to Hocking Hills and just got a cabin for the night. Before we checked in, we though it'd be fun to go canoeing, so we decided to do that even though it was supposed to rain. And boy did we not regret it! About halfway through the seven mile route, a ridiculous down-pour began. It's tough to describe here, but it was moving to say the least!

Our different reactions were hilarious. Because it was thundering in the distance, Melissa was a bit worried. "Oh no," she kept saying, "We're going to orphan our child! Poor little buddy!" I laughed. My reaction was total bliss. I was hootin and hollerin; I even busted out in a few phrases of worship to God for His power and glory in creation. It was awesome. This was my favorite moment of my last year, undoubtedly. I was telling Melissa I'm going to do something like that in Heaven. The only things that could've enhanced the moment were Jesus walking on water beside us, and perhaps St. Augustine in a parallel canoe discoursing with me about theological matters. What a dream!

The time with Melissa was way overdue and was utterly sweet. I love my wife. For whatever reason, I forget that at times throughout the grind of life. I think I've taken for granted that she is my best friend, but that day and a half gave me time to just adore her in her beauty. She is more than my best friend, she is my princess and I'll storm the castle for her.

We got lunch at a little dinky joint called Etta's lunchbox cafe. Seriously, if you're ever in the area stop at this place. It looks totally pathetic and run-down, but they're famous nationally their food quality. Everything is delicious. We ate here on our honeymoon 4 years ago and just had to return.

It was good to forget about support and even Noah for a little bit and just focus on our marriage and where God is taking us together. I think we all need slow-down moments like that, and the $100 for a cabin is well worth it in terms of reorienting and rejuvenating our hearts.

Lord, slow us down daily, that we may look in your face and behold your beauty. Let us be captured by your radiance.

1 comment:

Mere said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip!!! Ryan and I are going to the beach for our 4 year ... w/ Savannah in tow. How on earth did you find an overnight babysitter??